Sunday, September 23, 2007

Drivers Through Eureka Have No Consideration

Got your attention, yes? It isn't all the drivers going through Eureka on the main throughways, just a few. But these few are dangerous and very inconsiderate and should be fined heavily!

Several times I try to cross using the crosswalks and after a vehicle stops to allow my crossing, I begin my trip to the other side. But I don't do this gingerly, for if I do, I would possibly get mowed over by an inconsiderate driver believing that the vehicle stopped in front of them had stopped for no reason.

Case in point, yesterday I was crossing 5th & O Streets to have lunch at Marcelli's (Great Food!). As I started to cross in front of the vehicle that had stopped for me in the first lane, the middle land was open and the vehicle coming up on the stopped vehicle pulled over and continued through the crossing without even slowing down... Then another vehicle was great and slowed traffic down in the middle lane and then a vehicle zipped through the third lane without slowing down and acted as if they didn't even see the other vehicles stopped at the intersection. After this vehicle went through, the vehicle in the middle lane tried to do a little traffic control to allow me to complete my crossing - Thanks!

When I entered the restaurant the patrons even remarked about how bad the vehicles were involving this situation.

To stress this a bit more and I am sure it has happened before, for pedestrians need to cross the streets with much care here in Eureka or become as the individual did in the below article:

Pedestrian dies after being hit and flying 100 feet
The Times-Standard - Article Launched: 09/23/2007 06:28:14 PM PDT

A man walking across Fourth Street was struck by a vehicle and thrown 100 feet Saturday afternoon, dying at the scene, Eureka police reported.


Alex Campos, 26, of Rio Dell, the driver, was arrested on charges of vehicular manslaughter and probation violations, and was booked into the Humboldt County Correctional Facility.

The victim, whose name was withheld pending notification of his family, was heading north across Fourth at A Street when he was hit at about 5 p.m.

Campos' vehicle, which was westbound in the far left lane of the one-way street, was traveling at a high rate of speed when it hit the pedestrian, police said.

The impact was so hard that the victim, while flying through the air, struck a traffic sign, bending it over, police said.

I personally feel we need more traffic conttrol lights on the main streets of Eureka!


No comments: