Sunday, November 11, 2007

Abuse of "Disabled Placards"

was reading a post under "Rants & Raves" in the Humboldt County Section of CL (below).

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/rnr/475476134.html

As a disabled individual confined to a chair from a spinal cord injury, I have used a "Disabled Placard" in various situations. I honestly try not to use it, feeling there are those worst-off.

But this earlier mentioned rant made me consider this issue again. In so doing, I have to agree with the poster. It isn't even funny about the abuse. It is disgusting!

I believe the State of California should color code the Placards. This would kind of identify the sort of disability.

- A blue placard for the non-ambulatory (needs wheelchair, crutches, walker or are leg amputees) and this would be a permanent placard.

- A green placard for the ambulatory conditions(heart poblems, diabetic and so forth), where walking long distances maybe difficult. This may also be a permanent placard.

- A yellow placard would cover all other disabilities that (Broken legs, hips and so on) are short-term disabilities.

This is something the disabled community should consider when addressing our State Representatives.

I can assure you, there is nothing worst to me than seeing an individual with a placard quickly jump from their car or high pick-up and run/walk quickly into a shop and buy something you or I probably could not of even carried without help!

This is just a part of the abuse.

No comments: