Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Broadway Suggested Changes to CalTrans



Charles L. Bean

March 9, 2014

CalTrans
Kevin Tucker
1656 Union Street
Eureka, CA 95501

Subject:  Broadway Feasibility Study and Improvements

Kevin,

I look forward to many of the proposed changes, especially those improving access for the elderly and individuals with disabilities (I use a chair, both manual and power).

Sidewalks

I have many concerns about the lack of usable sidewalks and the style of curb-cuts to be used and the creating crosswalks that are the most direct lined up with the curb cuts.  This presently used take you to the middle the road and are not direct.

Presently, the curb-cuts at most of the intersections are not direct and the location of the signal buttons to push are not exactly the easiest to reach and then return where an individual using a chair can be seen and provide safe access to prepare to cross.  Part of the reason is how the curb-cuts are designed and the lack of space at the signaled intersections.  For the intersections that are not signaled I see no reason for the placement of the curb-cut looking towards the middle of Broadway, they should be constructed so they are aimed straight across the side streets where “Stop Signs” are located (Commercial, 6th,  7th, W. Grant, W. Clark, W. Cedar. W. 15th, W. Del Norte, Vigo, W. Henderson, Bayshore Way, Highland, Tomlinson, Allard, Hilfiker, and Sunset.).  Curb-cuts should on the side streets I listed go with the traffic, not into it, even slightly.

Side Street Curb-cuts going with the traffic will provide visibility of drivers to see low sitting chairs, as well as not causing the user of a chair to go out into the main flow of a busy street (As is today, for smooth progress from the sidewalk to the crosswalk one must go slightly into flowing traffic, not far, but enough to make drivers and pedestrians using a chair nervous!).  For safety and reserving a sane mind, curb-cuts on all the intersections should be more direct, not as they are design presently.

At the signaled intersections I can see the reason for the curb-cuts being at the round corners, but I do not see the reason for the signal buttons to be so far away and not having appropriate space to turn and wheel into position for preparing to cross.  I think the designs need to be consider for more direct crossing from corner to corner, as well as moving the crosswalks to be lined up with the crosswalks (maybe a couple of us should meet and I will demonstrate my thoughts – I can even bring a spare chair for you to experience what I am experiencing.).  One of the biggest issues noticed at the signal intersections are vehicles turning right, often not stopping or looking before pulling out (this has been shown at W. 14th where an individual I know was hit in a chair from a vehicle turning and W. Wabash at the SW corners where was lucky I pay more attention.).  So often I have witnessed drivers in vehicles on our streets turning right looking left and not coming to a stop (a few close calls have happened), but the intersections on Broadway are even more dangerous because of speed and less room to maneuver.  When leaving the safety of the sidewalk at the SW corners of W. Wabash and W. 14th you immediately place yourself in the line of traffic flow and out of sight of the drivers (it seems like this).

I hope you take me up on meeting me at the intersections prior to a final decision is made on the crosswalks and really consider curb-cuts that allow for more direct travel from corner to corner.  Also, improving the space at the corners and location of the buttons one needs to push for signaling the need for a pedestrian to allow crossing is considered in new designs.

Staying on the subject of sidewalks, there are a few driveways that just play hell with wheeling when it is wet and they should be redesigned or removed.   I am going to insert some photos and insert comments (I feel I can explain my thoughts better this way):


 Photos below














As I stated earlier, let’s try and get together about the curb cuts at the signaled intersections and let me explain further my concerns.

Thank you for your recent “Open House” and looking through my suggestions.

Have a great day!


Charles Bean




No comments: