Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Community Choice Act/Health Care Reform Ltr. to Obama

I am very concerned about our Health Care System and appreciate the fact it is being discussed. As an individual in a wheelchair from a spinal cord injury (35 years), when I did work I experienced many difficulties in receiving appropriate health care insurance and now, as an individual depending on Medicare and Medicaid I recognize even more concerns with the coverage.

I have received many emails representing the President’s office and the Democratic Party, but not one of them pointed out actual policies and regulations that are going to be used to promote Health Care Reform as you speak of in your public speeches. This frustrates me and at the same time does not allow for honest debate – debate currently being offered by the public is only partial truths and they do nothing but alienate people against one another.

One large concern I have is getting the “Community Choice Act (Senate Bill 683 and House Bill 1670)” included in any new “Health Care Reform Bill” currently being proposed. The Community Choice Act provides an alternative and will fundamentally change our long term care system and the institutional bias that now exists towards the elderly and individuals with disabilities. The Community Choice Act establishes a national program of community-based attendant services and supports for individuals with disabilities, regardless of age or disability.

I believe as President you have created much needed discussion regarding Health Care in our country, but I also believe that individuals also deserve a choice when they do need assistance whether or not they live in their homes or in a nursing home. I encourage you to include the Community Choice Act in future discussions regarding Health Care Reform.

Have a great day!

No comments: