Friday, January 16, 2009

Resonses to questions

Sure!

What has been your motivation to become involved in advocacy for disability/accessibility issues? My motivation comes from my past experience working with community activities that provided better opportunities for ALL in the Klamath-Trinity Area. As it relates to the disabled, my advocacy is present to promote a better understanding of the diverse needs of unique individuals that are a valuable part of our society. I personally don't like others making decisions for me without asking "What is it you need?" or, "How can you be helped?" Too many decisions are made for the disabled without including their thoughts. I try to look at the needs from the disabled view, as well as the so-called abled needs, and, from this it creates opportunities for all to work and live together.

In what ways have you been active? Currently I have been active as a member of the County of Humboldt In-Home Supportive Services Advisory Board and some with the Tri-County Independent Living Center (Though I think more needs to be done here.). I also try to attend various public meetings regarding housing; future community development projects such as the Broadway/Hwy. 101 feasibility study being done for safety; attending County Supervisor's meetings when I have the opportunity, especially if a topic has drawn my attention; and most important, I am in the public eye both physically and through letters sharing my thoughts on issues and activities throughout our area, as well as in our State and Federal governments.

If I see there may be a problem or issue towards access, I identify it for reconsideration, both verbally and through letters. It is important to look at things not only from my wheelchair's needs, but as needs of the many first and how the disabled can be included, not segregated as is often done presently

How receptive have various entities been, such as the City Council when you attend meetings to bring up issues? Most have been receptive on the outside, though I often get the feeling that I wasted my time. I also get the feeling "I know what you need already, though I will listen to you your view, my mind is already made up!" This is at many meetings where I am in the audience. I feel HTA and HCAOG needs better representation of the disabled in their meetings and on their Boards. Oh yeah, the Northwest Committee for the Employment of Persons with Disabilities could really use some assistance in getting the word out for those who can think for themselves.

I must admit though that attending the meetings is a positive way of promoting our issues, but there are not enough disabled attending meetings. Being the only one,or maybe having just a couple others is not always beneficial because they don't say anything.

Often working with the staff directly, not the County Supervisors or City Council more is accomplished. I know from experience, I have pointed out problems with access and offered a solution at the same time and the issue was corrected. This is something we as disabled need to remember when addressing a concern about access, and it is to offer a solution.

In what ways do you think people with disabilities in this community can increase their say in city government or county government matters? Be more visible to our representatives and members of society. Because an event is not geared towards disabled only, participate anyhow by getting involved with the coordination and development of the activities (Remember not everything is about our disability.). Volunteering is a start and is needed greatly throughout our different communities. Be sure though, if you say you are going to do something, follow through with it, as well as have a back-up if you are unable to do it. Not everything can be accomplished as we want it to be, but if we live up to our commitments, better impressions towards the disabled will appear. Bottom line, more disabled need to be involved in the community and though we differ in opinions, speak with one voice addressing society as a whole, not just any one particular disability.

What do you think would be a good direction for an Accessibility Advisory group? I have mostly, always felt that any form of government should have a representation of the disabled on their Board. This individual must show their disability because it is often the disability that is most visible as well as segregated from complete involvement in our society (education recreation and employment are a few examples.).

The only direction we can go is up! And in order to go up, we need to improve opportunities for the disabled throughout the various departments of our governments and parts of our society. Saying this, I expect to get the most common response from our Representatives: "We provide all the opportunities you need, but no one has stepped forward to assume them."

This is often true, yet it is also a cop-out. An Advisory group should be providing education and solutions for the betterment of the community and society involving not only the disabled, but the abled as one. It should involve representation of the Council/Staff/non-disabled/Disabled in the group. Our goal should be towards providing solutions to promoting more involvement of the disabled throughout society. Identify interests and positions, not only for employment, but community involvement disabled can fill and are needed by the community that provide respect and dignity for all involved.

You think I answsered these well enough?

No comments: