Saturday, January 10, 2009

A thought about understanding....

First, I would like to share with my many friends that I had lived in China for six years. During this time, I had many opportunities for sitting back and listening, as well as voicing my thoughts and feelings as well (I did the latter mostly.).

Being married to my wife, who is Chinese, I have often experienced this comment from her and a few in China, as well as here in the States, "You have no understanding of our culture or ways. What you believe or feel is incorrect."

I find these statements often coming from many who do not accept that what is being felt or said is true, not always. The admittance to others' understanding is more than one is willing to admit and beyond recognition or acceptance.

We as a society need to take a step back, often from our own egos and learn to accept differences in others. But at the same time, respect what one believes to be right is only a difference of understanding!

No comments: